About UWC Mahindra College:
UWC Mahindra College is a pre-university residential college to 240 students aged 16 to 19 representing more than 80 countries and with 30 faculty members from around the world. The college offers the globally recognised International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) for two years. Resting in the 175-acre biodiversity reserve, our campus is located 40 km outside of Pune amidst the greater Western Ghats – one of the world’s top biodiversity hotspots.
About the position:
UWC Mahindra College is looking to recruit an energetic and dynamic university counsellor to join the University Counselling team in August 2021. The appointee will have overall responsibility for the development and provision of university guidance to all students. The University Guidance Counsellor will be responsible for supporting all aspects of the search and admissions process for universities, colleges and post-secondary options, where students can apply, to help them plan their lives post UWC India.
Supervisor for the role: Deputy Head of College
Supervisees for the role: Guidance Counsellor Assistant
- Help students aspire realistically and choose wisely, keeping in mind the UWC Mission and values. This will serve to play a significant role in the leadership and direction of student university guidance, keeping at the forefront, the experiential and academic rigour provided within the context of UWC India, located in rural Maharashtra.
- Educate students about colleges, universities, career opportunities and GAP year opportunities around the world. This includes keeping track of current university trends and opportunities around the world, keeping in mind the diversity of student passports and backgrounds.
- Advise students on standardised tests based on university and country specific requirements like the SAT/ACT, Test-Optional Universities, TOEFL, IELTS and Duolingo. Also, helping to administer AP and PSAT exams with UK standardized tests, etc.
- Invite university admissions representatives to visit MUWCI and co-ordinate these visits. This includes university presentations, small university fairs, and workshops run by university representatives on MUWCI’s campus when possible.
- Attend the necessary networking conferences like IACAC- International Association of College Admission Counselling either at the regional or international conferences, CIS Forum- Council of International Schools and/or similar networking opportunities. This will serve to facilitate university visits and relationships between MUWCI and universities.
- In coordination with the Guidance Counsellor Assistant and Registrar, advise on updating the School Profile of MUWCI, as well as compile, analyse and present information on grade distributions, predicted grades and transcripts for university purposes.
- Coordinate the collection of draft material from advisors and write the official school recommendation for each college applicant. The Counsellor gathers information from teachers, advisors, Triveni office, records and reports, and students themselves.
- Ensure all school and student reports and evaluations are submitted on various portals in a timely manner.
- Manage the University Guidance Office Budget.
- Track admission decisions, synthesize statistics and trends and report to HOC and the Board as needed.
- Work with the MUWCI Admissions Office on current MUWCI student scholarships and fee waiver options for students on scholarships from 75% to full scholarships.
- The emphasis on university guidance primarily lies with the MUWCI student and the University Counsellor, keeping in mind the unique learning context within MUWCI and the bold opportunities MUWCI students can avail themselves of through different platforms.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree (a background in School Counselling or College Admissions experience would be preferred)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and organisational skills, and ability to juggle multiple deadlines throughout the year.
- Familiarity with and commitment to UWC guiding principles, objectives, and mission
- The ability to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse and demanding student population
- Knowledge of universities (Internationally- including India, USA, UK, South East Asia, Australia, New Zealand and the UWC scholarships in UK, Spain and Hong Kong, the Davis scholarships and other independent scholarships in many parts of the world), their academic programs, admission policies, and financial policies and procedures based on locations and student nationalities
For a detailed job description and instructions on how to apply, please refer to the PDF at this link.
Deadline: March 10, 2021